Saturday, January 9, 2010

Still no slip ups!

Let me start by saying that eating healthy is easy when you have a live-in chef. :)

Today was a very productive day in the Bolestridge household. We literally cleaned the entire day and took another trip to the storage building. Our living room is almost completely bare now (except for one corner that we turned into a little reading nook!) and as soon as we get the flooring down we'll be in business. We also de-junked quite a bit. It is amazing the crap I've hung on to over the past couple of months (and years... lol)

Body image wise today I am feeling really low. I don't know what it is about trying to lose weight that makes me feel so bad about how I look. I feel like I have a million fat rolls and I just feel disgusting in general. A couple of weeks ago it seems like I felt fine how I was and now that i'm actually doing something about my impending problem I feel worse than ever. It makes me feel very motivated for a change though so I guess its not all bad.

On a different note my food for today was pretty good. I went over my calorie limit the program sets for me but I am feeling so hungry all the time (im hoping that's a sign that my metabolism is going crazy! lol) that I don't feel so bad about eating a bit extra as long as they are good choices.

breakfast today was oatmeal soaked in 1 cup of 1% milk overnight with a couple of craisins and some coffee
snack- greek yogurt and a string cheese
lunch- sandwich with lettuce, tomato, cheese, olive oil mayo, olives and turkey lunch meat as well as a serving and a half of tortilla chips and salsa
snack- marathon bar
dinner - spanish spice rubbed chicken breasts with parsley mint sauce, broccoli and mashed potatoes :)
snack - i am going to have a steamed artichoke and dip it in hummus

here is the dinner recipe (amazing...<3 Bobby Flay)

Ingredients

Spice Rubbed Chicken:

  • 1 tablespoon Spanish paprika
  • 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
  • 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, ground
  • 2 teaspoons mustard seeds, ground
  • 2 teaspoons fennel seeds, ground
  • 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 4 (8-ounce) boneless chicken breasts
  • Olive oil
  • Parsley-Mint Sauce, recipe follows

Directions

Preheat your grill to high.

Whisk together the paprika, cumin, mustard, fennel, pepper and salt in a small bowl.

Brush the chicken with a few teaspoons of oil on both sides. Rub the breasts on the skin side with some of the rub and place on the grill, rub side down. Grill until golden brown and slightly charred, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn the breasts over and continue cooking until just cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a platter and immediately drizzle with some of the Parsley-Mint Sauce. Let rest 5 minutes. Serve with additional sauce on the side.

Parsley-Mint Sauce:

  • 1 1/2 cups tightly packed fresh mint leaves
  • 3/4 cup tightly packed fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 6 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 2 serrano chiles, grilled, peeled, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 1 cup olive oil
  • Water
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Place the mint, parsley, garlic and serranos in a food processor and process until coarsely chopped. Add the honey and mustard and process until combined. With the motor running, slowly add the olive oil until emulsified.

Transfer the mixture to a bowl and whisk in a few tablespoons of cold water to thin to a sauce-like consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Off to look at before/after pics on bodybuilding.com... its such a great motivator. I will be taking my "before" pics tomorrow and after a month I'll take more and post both to show my progress. :) hopefully I make lots! haha

Oh, any more snack suggestions by the way? Also, does anyone have any recipes they can share? Thanks guys! <3


3 comments:

  1. Great Job Heather!!! I'll send some advice your way - actually, advice from both Chris and My mom (to me) that I've combined: Marathon Bars and other protein/meal replacement bars are really high in sugar compared to raw almonds - Nature's perfect snack - plus, you get the added benefit of antioxidants!!! Also, if you're wanting an easy way to keep track of calories and daily intake, check out livestrong.com/thedailyplate It's free, and it's got a HUGE food database.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I just thought of this SUPER easy, and BETTER than regular potatoes recipe: Take two sweet potatoes, wash them. Slice into 1/8'' rounds, and put in a gallon size ziploc bag with a drizzle of olive oil, a sprinkle of cayenne pepper, some dried garlic or garlic salt, dill, salt and pepper. Shake up the bag, then spread potatoes out onto baking sheet and bake at 400 for 20 minutes - flipping 1/2 way through if you want to make them a little crispier....but you don't have to (I don't!) And, believe it or not, I LOVE to eat these cold out of the fridge the next day. SOOOOO GOOD!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mel! :) I appreciate the advice and I will DEFINITELY try the sweet potatoes! I LOVE them! They are my favorite. I have been meaning to ask you if I can have that dog biscuit recipe too if you don't mind. :)

    ReplyDelete